Thursday, January 14, 2016

Italy: Santa Croce and the 'Hiatus' Dress


McCall 3939 aka the 'Hiatus' Dress with handmade belt
Ness Shoes (from their store in Scotland)

My recent trip to Florence, Italy was one of the few non-work related travel I have done in the past couple of years.  What a lovely treat!  I absolutely adore Florence and still think it has one of the best fabric stores in Europe (check out my previous post on Bacci Fabrics), outside of Edinburgh, of course.  One of the sites I most wanted to see again was the church of Santa Croce.  I wore McCall 3939, called the 'Hiatus' Dress made from a 1940 pattern (check out my original post on sewing the dress here).

On the left is a photo of Santa Croce from 1940 and the right is the photo from today:


The front doors of the cathedral are MASSIVE:


The inside of the cathedral is amazing and is the burial place of Galileo, Machiavelli and Dante!

There are also some amazing painting and frescos within the cathedral :

A beautiful site to visit and along the way we stopped for a picturesque shot from the Ponte Vecchio bridge:

Such an amazingly beautiful city and a great place to wear 1940s fashions!  Have you been to Florence?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I read each and every comment--thank you so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig