Monday, November 16, 2015

Hollywood Glamour Gowns

It's the perfect time of the year for thinking about sewing a holiday gown!  I absolutely love New Year's Eve and all the holidays that allow the chance for dressing up.  Here are a few gowns that I've been looking at lately for inspiration:


Rita Hayworth from "You Were Never Lovlier" (Columbia Pictures, 1942)    

I love Rita Hayworth's dress from the movie 'You were Never Lovelier', especially the lace that becomes a glittery shooting star.

Rita Hayworth - Studio publicity portrait for "Blood and Sand" (20th Century Fox, 1941)  

For those south of the equator, halter dresses can also be very glamourous and Rita looks fantastic in all dresses.

Ann Sheridan (Photographed by George Hurrell, 1940)    

This is also the time of year where glittery and lamé fabrics give a gown the extra glamour like the dress above worn by Ann Sheridan.

Veronica Lake from "Ramrod" (United Artists, 1947)  Costume designed by Edith Head    

I'm slightly obsessed with Veronica Lake's gown – it has a country feeling of glamour and the bodice details are just stunning.

Myrna Loy in a bias-cut crêpe cocktail gown.  
This is around the time of first movie from The Thin Man series (1934-1936)

Myrna Loy always comes to my mind when I think of Hollywood glamour.  In fact, the first Thin Man movie is one of my all-time favourites.  This dress is in a spongy and sparkly crêpe fabric; I just love the drape of the bodice and shoulders. Simple yet elegant.

Joan Bennett -  in her brunette "femme fatale" phase (between 1939-46) 

Holiday gowns also provide the perfect opportunity to sew with velvet – one of my favourite fabrics to wear.  I really want to try sewing with silk velvet. Unfortunately, it's a fabric that is hard to get at my local fabric stores, so I might have to try and source it online.  Any good recommendations?

Carole Lombard from "No Man of Her Own" (Paramount, 1932).  “Connie Randall” beige gown by Travis Banton    Check out the Colette blog about him here.  

I think this dress worn by Carole Lombard is what I would consider the ultimate glamour gown!  Now, can you imagine this in a velvet silk?

Do you have any plans for holiday sewing this year?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I read each and every comment--thank you so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig